A UK first: Orange choose fry to create new twitter photo-sharing platform
fry have had a long-standing relationship with Orange, based around the provision and fulfilment of high-end server management and data storage services. Orange asked us to come up with a new photo-sharing product for their 16 million users. The brief was to create a revenue generating platform that would integrate with social networks, initially focused on Twitter.
fry created a system that allows users to share their mobile photos via twitter using MMS. This meant building:
- 'Snapshot' Orange's photo-sharing product
- the system that enables users to post their photos into Snapshot
- the system that posts an update to the user's Twitter feed, linking back into Snapshot
We integrated all this into Orange's billing systems so that each transaction could generate revenue.
A novel service for users, a revenue generating social networking platform for Orange, a UK first for a network operator, and wide-spread media coverage.
Mark Watts-Jones, Head of Product Management at Orange said "Great performance. In the UK we're very pleased!"
What others are saying:
- Twitter -"The UK has had an outsised cultural impact on the world. From music to sports to literature... and now - MMS with Twitter."
- Venturebeat - "This is an interesting partnership - it doesn't cost Twitter much as they've already integrated services like this before, plus Orange generates good will and publicity every time its customers use the service.
- Gomonews - "Is it me, or is Orange finally catching up on its heritage and becoming a bit edgy? The iPhone, Twitter, social media plays a huge part... Orange is getting it right again?"
- Techcrunch: "Twitter UK Users Get Something No One Else Has: MMS Support"